Preservation page
Home Page History Recources Documents Preservation page Frequently Asked Contact Us Media Page WRITE CONGRESS

Copyright © All rights reserved. Created May 4, 2011

Historic preservation and environmental conservation are important responsibilities of NHA management.  Such activities are aggressively being implemented by lead stakeholders such as Collins Academy-Today Foundation and the City of Jefferson.

 

Confederate Powder Magazine/Jefferson Ordnance Works

Get the National Register application narrative to learn more

about the Confederate Powder Magazine.

    Union Missionary Baptist Church

 

Get a history summary of the church as submitted by Collins Academy for a Texas’ Most Endangered listing by Preservation Texas.

Get the history of the church as submitted by the Marion County Historical Commission for a Registered Texas Historical Landmark designation from the Texas Historical Commission

Big Cypress Bayou Fish & Wildlife Habitat Restoration Project

This is a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers 1135 wetland restoration project sponsored by the City of Jefferson.  Stretching across 40 acres of historic riverfront, the project is composed of 3 sections designed to restore the biological integrity of the floodplain community through a combination of measures directed at specific habitat types.  

 

Get an overview of the Big Cypress Bayou Fish & Wildlife Habitat Restoration Project.

 

Go to the Big Cypress Bayou Fish & Wildlife Habitat Restoration Project web site.  

Constructed in 1863 to temporarily store black powder manufactured at the Marshall Powder Mill, this structure is in eminent danger of collapse due to erosion of the soil bank at its location on Big Cypress Bayou below Jefferson.  This feature was an important supply asset of the Trans-Mississippi Division of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War and Jefferson’s only visible artifact from this important period.

Captain William Perry gave the Houston Street property to local slaves in 1842, shortly after his arrival at the location that would become the bustling port of Jefferson.  The first structure was erected on the site in 1847 and was built using native cypress lumber for a non-denominational congregation and represents one of the earliest black churches in Texas.  A formal congregation, the Union Missionary Baptist Church, was established there in 1868 by Reverend Duncan.  Apparently, this first structure was burned in the October - November 1868

timeframe as part of the local backlash from the punitive reconstruction policies and socio-economic upheaval caused by the federal government at the close of the American Civil War.  

    Its importance lies in the fact that the church was the epicenter of black religious, Loyal League, Radical Republican, and Freedmens Bureau activities in Marion County during reconstruction and was a literal as well as symbolic site of white, disenfranchised retribution and black suffering.  Its life chronicles the deep and often violent racial divide in East Texas after the Civil War and demonstrates how religion and perseverance can underpin culture.

Frequently Asked